Current Affairs, September 2021
26th September, Current Affairs:
• Cyclone Gulab has made landfall in
coastal regions of Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
• Iceland elects its first female-majority parliament. Iceland has elected a female-majority parliament, a landmark for gender equality in the North Atlantic island nation.
• Royal Challengers Bangalore captain Virat Kohli became the first Indian and fifth overall player to complete 10,000 T20 runs while batting against Mumbai Indians in Dubai.
• Lewis Hamilton became the first Formula One driver to win 100 races with victory in the Russian Grand Prix.
• Oleksandr Usyk defeats Anthony Joshua to claim world heavyweight title.
25th September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
address the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with his counterparts from Australia and Japan attended the first in-person summit of Quad leaders hosted by U.S. President Joe Biden.
• Shubham Kumar has topped the UPSC civil services examination 2020. A total of 761 candidates, including 545 men and 216 women, have cleared the civil services examination 2020.
• Eminent women's rights activist, poet and author Kamla Bhasin passed away at the age of 75.
23rd September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi is on
a three-day visit to the United States. He is scheduled to travel to New
York to address the UN General Assembly on Saturday.
• The Defence Ministry today sealed a contract to procure 118 Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) Arjun for the Indian Army at a cost of ₹ 7,523 crore.
• Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force Air Marshal VR Chaudhari has been appointed the next IAF chief.
22nd September, Current Affairs:
• Canadian Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau's Liberal Party wins a victory in parliamentary elections. He will
be the Prime Minister of Canada for 3rd term.
• The families of those who die of Covid will receive ₹ 50,000 ex gratia from the state governments, the Centre informed the Supreme Court today.
• World Rhino Day is observed today.
• Infosys on Wednesday announced a strategic collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to develop quantum computing capabilities and use cases.
20th September, Current Affairs:
• The 73rd Emmy Awards was held today
at LA's Microsoft Theater. The Crown has won the Best Drama Series. Olivia
Colman won the Best Drama Actress award while Kate Winslet won Best Actress,
Limited Series or Movie category.
• Congress leader and MLA Charanjit Singh Channi today took oath as Chief Minister of Punjab. Two Deputy Chief Ministers — O.P. Soni and Sukhjinder Randhawa — also took oath along with the Chief Minister.
• Royal Challengers Bangalore captain Virat Kohli is playing his 200th Indian Premier League match, making him the 5th cricketer in the T20 league to get to the landmark.
19th September, Current Affairs:
• Chamkaur Sahib MLA Charanjit Singh
Channi appointed as the next chief minister of Punjab by the Congress party.
• The second half of the Indian Premier League 2021 starts from today in UAE.
18th September, Current Affairs:
• Amarinder Singh resigned as Punjab
• R.N. Ravi sworn in as Governor of Tamil Nadu. Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, Justice Sanjib Banerjee administered the oath of office to Mr. Ravi.
• France recalled its Ambassadors to the U.S. and Australia after Australia scrapped a big French conventional submarine purchase in favour of nuclear subs built with U.S. technology.
17th September, Current Affairs:
• India set a record today by
administering over two crore COVID-19 vaccine doses, in a major push to the
inoculation drive on the occasion of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's
• The 21st meeting of the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) Council of Heads of State held today in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
• New Zealand’s tour of Pakistan has been completely called off due to security concerns, just minutes before the toss for the 1st one-day international was going to take place in Rawalpindi.
15th September, Current Affairs:
• International Day of Democracy is
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Rajya Sabha chairperson M Venkaiah Naidu and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla jointly launched Sansad TV.
• The government today cleared ₹ 26,000 crore worth new production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for the auto sector, to boost the production of electric vehicles and hydrogen fuel vehicles.
• The government has announced 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in the telecom sector through the automatic route as part of its comprehensive package for the telecom sector.
14th September, Current Affairs:
• Hindi Diwas is celebrated today.
• Sri Lanka pace veteran Lasith Malinga today announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
13th September, Current Affairs:
• Gujarat BJP MLA Bhupendra Patel has
been sworn-in as the chief minister of Gujarat.
• Veteran Congress leader and former Union Minister Oscar Fernandes died at a private hospital in Mangaluru.
• In the US Open final, Russia's second-ranked Daniil Medvedev defeated Novak Djokovic 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 to win his first Grand Slam title and to prevent Djokovic the first calendar-year Grand Slam since 1969.
12th September, Current Affairs:
• Vijay Rupani resigned as Chief
Minister of Gujarat. Senior BJP leader Bhupendra Patel will succeed Vijay
Rupani as the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
• British teenager Emma Raducanu becomes the first qualifier to capture a Grand Slam title with a straight-sets defeat of Canada's Leylah Fernandez in the US Open women's singles final. She defeated Leylah Fernandez 6-4, 6-3 in the final.
10th September, Current Affairs:
• Ganesh Chaturthi is being
celebrated today across the country with enthusiasm and fervour.
• Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick to overtake Pele as the top international goal scorer in South American football history. Lionel Messi scored his 79th international goal to break the South American men's record held by Pele.
• Nagaland Governor RN Ravi, who was the Centre’s interlocutor, has been moved to Tamil Nadu and Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed in his place. Lt. Gen. Gurmit Singh (retd) has been appointed as Governor of Uttarakhand. Banwarilal Purohit, Governor of Tamil Nadu holding additional charge of the Governor of Punjab, has been appointed as a regular Governor of Punjab.
9th September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi chair
the 13th BRICS Summit today in a virtual format.
• Citing data between April and August, ICMR DG Dr Balram Bhargava said that one dose of Covid-19 vaccine is 96.6 per cent effective in preventing death, while two doses prevent death by 97.5 per cent.
• The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), announced Team India’s 15-member squad for the T20 World Cup 2021. MS Dhoni named as Team India's mentor for the T20 World Cup.
• The deadline for filing Income Tax returns has been extended till December 31.
8th September, Current Affairs:
• The Union Government today approved
a deal with Airbus Defence and Space of Spain to buy 56 C-295MW transport
aircraft. A total of 40 aircraft will be manufactured in India. It will
replace Indian Air Force planes inducted 60 years ago.
• The Central government had approved production-linked incentive (PLI) for the textile sector with a budgetary outlay of ₹10,683 crore.
7th September, Current Affairs:
• Cuba became the first country in the
world to vaccinate children from the age of two against Covid-19, using
• Ladakh adopted two endangered species, snow leopard and black-necked crane, as its State animal and State bird respectively.
• El Salvador becomes the first country in the world to accept Bitcoin as legal tender.
• Virat Kohli now has the most wins in Test cricket as a captain of India in England.
6th September, Current Affairs:
• The Chairman of Indian Space
Research Organisation (ISRO) K. Sivan today inaugurated a Lunar Science
Workshop 2021, to commemorate the completion of two years of operation of
Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft around the lunar orbit.
• Fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah beat Kapil Dev's record to become the fastest Indian pacer to achieve a hundred Test wickets, by getting there in his 24th match.
5th September, Current Affairs:
• National Teacher’s Day is observed
today. The National Teachers' Awards were conferred upon 44 teachers from
across the country for their contribution to developing innovative methods
• The Tokyo Paralympics 2020 has come to an end. Having registered 19 medals in total, the Indian Paralympic Team crossed its previous best tally of four medals at the 2016 Paralympics.
• A tripartite peace accord was inked on Saturday by representatives of the Centre, Assam government and five Karbi-Anglong groups, as part of which 1,000 armed cadres have abjured violence and joined the mainstream.
4th September, Current Affairs:
• Shooter Avani Lekhara, who became
the first Indian woman to win two Paralympic medals, will be India's
flag-bearer at Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games closing ceremony on Sunday.
• India's Pramod Bhagat secured the country's fourth gold medal at the Tokyo Paralympics on Saturday when he defeated Great Britain's Daniel Bethell in the badminton men's singles (SL3) final.
• Manoj Sarkar sealed a 2-0 win (22-20, 21-13) against Daisuke Fujihara to win bronze in badminton men's SL3 singles event in Tokyo Paralympics.
3rd September, Current Affairs:
• At least 46 people have died after
remnants of Hurricane Ida hammered US East Coast with record-breaking rain,
causing flash-floods in the region.
• India's Avani Lekhara Wins Bronze In Women's 50m Rifle 3 Positions SH1. She becomes the only Indian woman to win two medals in Paralympics.
• In the ongoing 4th Test between India and England, Virat Kohli become the fastest batsman to reach 23000 runs across all formats in international cricket.
• Praveen Kumar became India's fourth medallist in men's high jump and 11th medallist overall at the Tokyo Paralympics as he won silver with an Asian record jump of 2.07m.
• Harvinder Singh made history as he claimed India's first-ever medal in para archery by bagging the bronze at the Tokyo Paralympics.
2nd September, Current Affairs:
• Cristiano Ronaldo becomes all-time
highest goalscorer in international football. Cristiano Ronaldo scored his
110th and 111th goals for Portugal, thus surpassing former Iran striker Ali
Daei as the all-time highest goalscorer in the history of international
• Former Rajya Sabha member and journalist Chandan Mitra who had been unwell for some time, died last night. He was 65.